" It's not easy to hold it in inside;
nor is this silence I willingly abide,
so I let my words through these pages ride"

Friday, October 1, 2010

Imitating the West

Hair down, tight jeans, crappy shoes and a freakishly odd looking top-and they think they're on top of the world! Whatever happened to femininity? Whatever happened to the grace, gentleness and beauty that was always attributed to women?! Admittedly yes, some of them are beautiful, but the others-seriously what are they thinking? That if they dress like that and carry themselves as if they were owners of the planet that they can be Somebody? I mean, isn't there like a limit to impersonation and imitation of the west? What's so great about the West anyway? Sure the Indian women can wear jeans, and the men can wear converse all they want, but surely, they can't grow blonde hair on their heads? Or colour their eyes blue? Guys and Girls every where. They think it's cool. But it's SO NOT. What different idea of Cool they have. Grace is the right kind of Cool.

It is quite disheartening to notice that the once so beautiful Indian Culture is perishing or rather transforming to a pathetic imitation of the west. So if this is how India has become, I dread to think how worse the west have gotten. I like to imagine someone like Gandhiki or Nehru seeing these people-the Indian youth-they'll probably faint!

Well maybe it's wrong of me to just get mad at the Indian youth for imitating the west. The arabs are no different, I have seen even Grandmothers wearing jeans beneath their Abaya. And the chinese or japanese or whoever-all look up to the west. But I think it's just the Indians who are blindly imitating the west. Or so i believe.

Walking through the streets of this place and I'm thinking about the Prophet Sallahi Walaihi Wassallam's words - "Women will be wearing clothes, but not wearing clothes". SubhanaAllah, That is exactly the case.

And their english! Ugh. It just bugs me like crazy! To listen to them, with that increasingly annoying tone and accent. Thank Allah- I do not have that Indian touch to my english by some miracle. And why are they always speaking english? You know like ALWAYS. Maddeningly so. To show off undoubtedly. But why is English language treated as something to be showed off? I never understood that. Crazy people.

Learn to speak arabic. Then you have something to show off. And yet, my Slave of the All-knowing never showed off with it. Masha Allah, I love their modesty.

English is easy peasy. The language is a piece of cake, adhering to its rules is perhaps tough.

By the way, I wear jeans, and I wear converse and I intend no offence to English language, in fact I love it and I'm in fact a BA English student.


May Allah Subhanata'ala save my Nation from corruption. Ameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment