" It's not easy to hold it in inside;
nor is this silence I willingly abide,
so I let my words through these pages ride"

Monday, October 4, 2010

What is Cool?

Who determines what cool is? Why do people try so hard to be cool? And the wrong presumption of cool. Cool is not listening to Avril Lavigne on your ipod. Cool is not wearing black bands on your hands or wearing kohl. Cool is not saying LMAO or S**t or the F word. Cool is not having a boyfriend. Cool is not putting your exposed pictures on social-networking sites. Cool is not having a crush on Justin Bieber and sticking his poster on your wall. That aint cool. It isn't even acceptable. Especially from a Muslimah.

Trust me when I say it, because I've been there, done that, and it wasn't the least bit cool. In fact it was lame. I have had my days of music and hollywood. It may seem fun.But what fun can it be when the Noor in your heart was fading because of it? How can we find happiness in that when we were going farther away from Allah by that? People think music and entertainments makes them happy. They are far from truth. Perhaps we do feel light headed, but deep down we feel constricted, like something is missing. True happiness lies only in obedience to Allah.

Being cool is not being what the world wants you to be. The world expects that from you, it demands such behaviour from you, when the magazine shows a picture of Taylor Lautner saying 'Cute', they expect you to fall over it. So turn your back on it, avert your gaze. So what is cool? There's a page on Facebook called "The cool kids pray 5 times a day"; now that's cool. Cool is being the best you can. Cool is Decency. Cool is that guy with thick beard and pants way above his ankles. Cool is that girl observing proper hijab both inwardly and outwardly. Cool is when you can give a Hadith on any matter. Cool is when you can recite Quran with understanding. LMHO-laughing my hijab off, isn't that cool? I had shared that with Slave of the All-knowing. They found it funny!

Be yourself and try to be better everyday, that's the right kind of cool. I wanna be cool. Insha Allah. So who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment